If there’s a simpler way to freshen up your look than having your stylist snip in some bangs, we haven’t heard about it. Lucky for those of us who are a wee bit too freaked out at the thought of getting a Big Chop, bangs will once again be the style to sport in 2022.
But once you’ve decided you want to get bangs, how do you know which kind to get? And how do you know that your chosen fringe will work for your face shape? We had the same questions, so we did our research. Turns out there’s more than likely a bangs-friendly look that you can sport. Some women with face shapes other than oval (the holy grail of face shapes!) will just have to be mindful of which one they ultimately decide on. You oval-faced ladies? You’ve got the pick of the bangs litter.
To explore the 5 different kinds of bangs and see all the versatility that each style offers, scroll on down and check out our killer infographic along with 35 gorgeous and inspirational photos of bangs separated by type.
Side-Swept Bangs (aka Side Bangs)
These ones are a classic. They look stylish with an updo, whisked to the side with a dramatic flourish. But they also look sweet when dressed down, paired with nothing more than your flowing mane and darling mug.
Women with round faces: Your best bet is sticking to the bangs in this category. You’ll want to go with a thick bang, not a piecey one, or your face won’t benefit from the bangs’ slimming effect. Women with oval faces are also great candidates for this look. Their face shape works well with just about any type of bang there is, and the side-swept bang is no exception. Finally, women with heart-shaped faces can experiment with these bangs, too. The side-swept effect will draw the eye downward, away from the forehead.
1. Piecey Long Parted Bangs Swept to the Side
2. Side-Swept Bangs for Messy, Rich Chocolate-Brown Hair
3. Rachel McAdams’s Medium-Brown Curly Bob with Adorable Side Bangs
4. Emma Stone’s Gorgeous Red Hair with Glamorous Side-Swept Bangs
5. Sweet, Full, Side-Swept Bangs for Honey-Brown Straight Bobs
Full Straight Bangs, aka Blunt Bangs
The bangs in this category can be choppy and texturized at the ends or blunt, as the name suggests. Either way, they’ll end up looking fresh and modern. Take, for example, Krysten Ritter.
6. Krysten Ritter’s Thick, Slightly Choppy Bangs and Sleek Bob
Home girl is pretty much the belle of the bang right now. She’s worn her beautiful black bangs in virtually every style there is, but we think these slightly choppy bangs fit her face shape best.
There’s also Hannah Simone, who looks darling with her rich chocolate-brown hair cut into full bangs.
7. Hannah Simone’s Gorgeous Full, Longer-on-the-Sides Bangs
Her fringe lengthens at the sides of her face, a characteristic that’s great not only for women with oval faces but also (usually) for those with heart-shaped or square faces.
Women with round faces: This category of bangs is pretty much a no-go. Those with oval faces and square faces, you’ll find some options in this category that will complement your face shape. Remember that the long-on-the-sides aspect often helps to soften harsh jaw lines.
8. Long Chocolate-Brown Bangs That Lengthen at the Sides Paired with a Chic Top-Knot
9. Messy Chestnut Brown Hair with Full Bangs and a Bun
10. Wavy, Blunt, Chestnut-Brown Bob with Long, Blunt Bangs and a Middle Part
11. Super-Long Full Bangs and a Short, Trendy (but Timeless!) Bob
12. Long Blunt Bangs That Cover the Eyebrows for Sleek Long Hair
13. Messy, Wavy Rich Brown Hair in a Long Bob with Full Bangs
14. Rose Byrne’s Dramatic, Extra-Long Bangs with Darling Updo
15. Super-Blunt Long Bangs Paired with a Dark-Brown Bob
16. Eyebrow-Covering Blunt Bangs with Ombre Hair in a Messy Bun Style
Short Bangs (aka Baby Bangs)
These can be asymmetrical, choppy, or straight, but they always end well above the brow. This style requires diligent maintenance to keep these short, cutting-edge strands looking fresh. A lot of women covet them because . . . well, the reason’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? They look so damn cute. But they’ll work best on a very specific set of the population: women with oval faces who have straight hair that’s between anywhere from thin to medium thickness. Women with thick or wavy-to-curly hair, if you’re prepared to spend a lot of time getting ready each morning, go for it. Just don’t say we didn’t warn you.
Women with round faces or square faces: Stay away from these at all costs! They’ll make your face look too wide.
17. Short Bangs for Sumptuous Dark-Chocolate-Brown Hair in a High Bun
18. Short, Tapered Bangs for Messy Blonde Hair
19. Chic Messy Updo with Stray Strands and Baby Bangs
20. Rich, Carrot-Red, Mid-Length Waves with Short, Full Bangs
21. Super-Short Baby Bangs and a Deep-Brown Chunky Bob
22. Short, Asymmetrical Bangs for Platinum-Blonde Curls in a Gorgeous Pin-Up Style
23. Piecey Baby Bangs with Natural Medium-Brown Hair in a Chill Bun Updo
24. Blunt, Short Bangs for Long Dark-Brown Hair and a Rockabilly Aesthetic
These bangs have been gaining a ton of traction lately, but they’re still the least-often-seen style of bangs out there. Women with oval faces will look effortlessly chic with this type of fringe snipped in to their cut. Some women with heart-shaped faces may be able to pull this look off, too, but they’ll want to make sure that the bangs are on the longer side, which will create the illusion of length in the face.
25. Sienna Miller’s Long, Tapered, Parted Blonde Bangs
26. Straight, Rich Auburn-Red Hair with Middle-Parted Bangs
27. Classic ’70s Parted Bangs with Long Hippie-esque Locks
28. Alexa Chung’s Sumptuous Espresso-Brown Locks with Middle-Parted Bangs
29. Long, Middle-Parted Bangs and Pretty Chestnut-Brown Locks
Piecey Bangs (aka Fringe Bangs)
These insanely popular bangs can be short, hitting above the eyes, but they’re usually seen worn long, batting at the eyelashes with every blink. Women with oval, long, or square faces: These bangs are perfect for you. Square faces especially will benefit from the softening effect of these bangs.
Women with round faces, however, need to be wary of these. The piecey aspect of the bangs may very well add fullness to your face, which some of us may not appreciate. So just be sure this is the look you’re craving, and know the effect it’ll have on your face shape.